US says Russian plane likely brought down by bomb planted by ISIS

US says Russian plane likely brought down by bomb planted by ISIS

A United States intelligence official says the US believes a Russian passenger jet which crashed in Egypt was brought down by a bomb planted by Islamist militants.

The Russian Airbus A321 crashed in Egypt’s Sinai Province on Saturday, killing all 224 people on board.

CNN is this morning reporting information from a US intelligence source, saying they definitely believe  it was “an explosive device planted in luggage or somewhere on the plane,” possibly by the Islamic State group or an affiliate.

But the official has stressed this is not a formal conclusion.

It comes after Britain has also said it believes the plane was brought down by a bomb, and has grounded all flights out of Sharm al-Sheikh airport as a precaution.

“While the investigation is still ongoing we cannot say categorically why the Russian jet crashed,” prime minister David Cameron’s office said in a statement.

“But as more information has come to light we have become concerned that the plane may well have been brought down by an explosive device.”

Militants from the Islamic State have claimed responsibility for the attack, but international leaders had been skeptical about these claims.

Image: AFP

About author

Libby Dreyer
Libby Dreyer 1729 posts

Libby has worked as a Senior Journalist at National Radio News since February 2011. She graduated with a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of Canberra in December 2010.

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

National

Morning News Wrap- December 18

For all the latest news this morning, read our morning news wrap.

World

Protestors in Turkey call for ground action against IS militants

Kurdish protestors are calling on the Turkish government to launch ground action against IS militants in Kobane.

Obama announces climate change policy

US President Barack Obama has announced his policy on climate change for the US.

CTV building should not have been approved: report

Royal Commission released report into CTV building collapse during Christchurch earthquake