Two men charged in relation to Parramatta shooting

Two men charged in relation to Parramatta shooting

NSW police have charged two men, in relation to the death of New South Wales police employee Curtis Cheng.

A 22-year-old man has been charged with supplying the gun in the terror inspired murder, while an 18-year-old man has been charged with terrorist related offences.

Mr Cheng was shot dead by radicalised 15-year-old Farhad Jabar nearly two weeks ago.

Police arrested the 22-year-old at his Merrylands home yesterday, while the 18-year-old, Raban Alou, has been held in custody since being arrested last week.

New South Wales Police Force Commissioner Andrew Scipione says the 22-uear-old is expected to front court this morning.

“That person’s currently being interviewed and is expected to be charged with supply of a firearm, breach of a firearm prohibition order, and hindering police,” he said yesterday

“He is expected to be refused bail and will likely appear in Parramatta Local Court tomorrow.”

Police are expected to allege in court, he handed the gun to Jabar in the female section of Parramatta mosque, where there are no surveillance cameras.

Alou has been charged with Aid, Abet, Counsel and Procure the Commission of a Terrorist Act, and is also expected to face court today.

AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin says the arrests are a positive step forward in the case.

“I have said repeatedly our first priority is the safety of the community and today the laying of charges against these two men should reassure the community, that where there is evidence of criminal offending, we will find it and act,” Commissioner Colvin said yesterday.

“Today is the culmination of hundreds of hours of work by our officers whose professionalism and courage should be commended.

Image: NSW Police

About author

Libby Dreyer
Libby Dreyer 1729 posts

<p>Libby has worked as a Senior Journalist at National Radio News since February 2011. She graduated with a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of Canberra in December 2010.</p>

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

National 0 Comments

Bushfire emergency declared in WA

Western Australian authorities have declared a bushfire emergency for the Doubtful Island Peninsula.

National

Submarine policy: Nick Xenophon urges a stop to uncertainty

Independant Senator warns thousands of job would be lost if the Australian submarines would be made in Japan.

National 0 Comments

Expert calls for children to leave Manus Island

A refugee expert says children need to leave the detention centre on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea, because safeguards have not been put in place.

National

Sports Update- May 13

For the latest sports news, check out our Tuesday morning sports wrap.