Man Haron Monis inquest continues

Man Haron Monis inquest continues

The work history of Sydney siege gunman Man Haron Monis is set to be examined today as the inquest into the deadly Lindt cafe attack continues.

The opening day of the inquest in Sydney yesterday heard Monis was broke, had few friends and was facing a jail term when he took 18 people hostage on December 15 last year.

Lawyers assisting the commission described Monis’s history of mental health issues, but said it was unlikely to “provide a full answer to the questions about his motivations for the siege.”

It has also been told the self-styled Islamic Sheikh attempted to join the Rebels motocycle gang in Sydney’s Mount Druitt chapter, but was rejected for being “too weird”.

The inquest will today look into Monis’s work history and his dealings with immigration and customs officials.

About author

smurde01
smurde01 33 posts

Sam Murden is one of the NRN's Cadets in 2014/15.

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

National 0 Comments

Holden workers approve new pay deal

Holden workers in South Australia have accepted a new pay deal today.

National

Senate committee investigating Timbercorp collapse

A Senate hearing is underway today, to investigate the role of the ANZ bank in the collapse of agribusiness company Timbercorp.

National 0 Comments

Keating's visionary speech remembered

Former Prime Minister Paul Keating’s speech in Redfern has been remembered 20 years on.

National 0 Comments

Gillard calls September 14 election

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced Australians will head to the polls on September 14.