Explained: Curtis Scott’s two-game ban

Explained: Curtis Scott’s two-game ban

By Kamin Gock

A fiery brawl between the Melbourne Storm and Manly Sea Eagles centres, Source: ABC News and Fox Sports

 

Insults muttered, punches swung, fractured bones and the first send-off in three years.

This weekend’s NRL match between the Melbourne Storm and Manly Sea Eagles was a referee’s  nightmare.

On Saturday, Melbourne’s Curtis Scott threw a brutal punch at Manly’s counterpart Dylan Walker, breaking his eye socket.

The pair had been in a verbal bout throughout the game which led to Scott lashing out and irresponsibly throwing multiple punches at Walker.

The Sea Eagles centre is now out of action for six weeks. Scott was sent-off for the remainder of the game becoming the first player since 2015 to be given the marching orders.

Many followers were expecting Scott to receive a lengthy ban but instead, he was charged with a mere two-game suspension.

To put things in perspective, Canberra Raiders’ Joseph Tapine will face the exact same fate for a shoulder charge on the weekend.

Curtis Scott lashing out at Dylan Walker, Source: Nine Wide World of Sports

Due to these two outcomes, the Match Review Committee has been accused on inconsistency by angered supporters.

However, there is reason behind this decision.

Under the NRL Judiciary code, there are three grades of offences. These offences are converted to a base penalty of 100 demerit points. Every 100 points equates to a one-match suspension.

Initially, Scott received a grade-three striking charge which is worth 400 demerit points. The Storm centre took an Early Guilty Plea which reduced his sentence by 25 per cent. This would see him miss out on three weeks on 300 points.

However under NRL laws, the number of fine points a player incurs is reduced for every minute off the field.

Scott was sent off with a remaining 28 minutes left in the game, meaning his penalty was dropped down to a mere two-week suspension.

Although many people were left angered with such a weak outcome to Curtis Scott’s actions, Manly CEO Lyall Gorman has defended the suspension.

“There are rules and we’ve all signed up for those and we understand where they are,” Mr Gorman said.

Manly CEO Lyall Gorman at a press conference, Source: The Australian

“With these things there’s an appropriate protocol and process to go through.

“At the end of each year there’s a review of the structure and regulations and that’s the appropriate forum for it.”

Although a tougher penalty would have been welcomed by most, the outcome under NRL laws was fair.

Maybe in the near future the laws will be adapted and changed further. But until that end-of-year review, this decision is one that NRL supporters must accept.

 

About author

earche04
earche04 66 posts

Erin joined the NRN team straight after graduating from a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) at Charles Sturt University in 2016.

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

National 0 Comments

Two teens charged for wild Brisbane party

Three people including two boys aged 14 and 15 have been charged over a wild party in Brisbane over the weekend.

National

Government to consider “assets test” for aged pension

Social Services Minister Scott Morrison is considering introducing an assets test for the aged pension, following a proposal by ACOSS.

National 0 Comments

Tensions emerge with Indonesia over border protection

Tensions have emerged with Indonesia over the Abbott government’s border protection policy.

National 0 Comments

Young type 1 diabetics call on govt. for funding

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation says major advances have been made in the treatment of Type 1 diabetes in recent years, but funding is critical to furthering research efforts