Boston bomber sentenced to death, apologises to victims

Boston bomber sentenced to death, apologises to victims

A US judge has formally sentenced Boston Marathon bomber Dzokhar Tsarnaev to death.

The jury in his murder trial had already imposed the death penalty, but a sentencing hearing has been held overnight to allow the judge to make a final decision.

Tsarnaev and his older brother Tamalin planted a home-made bomb at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in 2013, killing 3 people and leaving another 17 amputees.

Dzokhar Tsarnaev also shot dead a police officer in the days after the bombing.

US District Court judge George O’Toole has told Tsarnaev he will always be remebered for the evil he has done, before sentencing him to death by legal injection.

“What will be remembered is that you murdered and maimed innocent people and that you did it wilfully and intentionally,” he said.

Tsarnaev addressed the court for the first time, apologising to the victims and their families.

But some of the survivors of the bombing have spoken out, saying they do not believed his apology.

Bombing survivor Scott Weisburg, who suffered hearing loss in the attack, said he found Tsarnaev’s disingenuous.

“He said that he was remorseful, I find that hard to believe since I’ve come to a lot of the trial and never really saw that at all from him.

“It really does not change anything for me because, what he took from me, I’m never going to be able to regain.”

The legal process that proceeds Tsarnaev’s execution is expected to drag on for years, if not decades.

About author

Libby Dreyer
Libby Dreyer 1729 posts

Libby has worked as a Senior Journalist at National Radio News since February 2011. She graduated with a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of Canberra in December 2010.

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

World

Egypt’s President hints at pardon for Greste and colleagues

Egypt’s president says he wishes Western journalists had been deported instead of being put on trial.

World

Global markets rally on Tuesday after China cut interest rates

Global markets have rallied overnight following a poor start to trading at the start of this week.

National

Government denies Australia is headed for recession

The Federal Government remains adamant Australia is not heading for a recession, despite recording its lowest economic growth rate in two years. Yesterday figures revealed Australia’s GDP grew by only

National

NSW coroner ruled DPP can keep Monis bail documents private

The NSW coroner has granted the Director of Public Prosecutions permission to keep five documents secret from the public, relating to the bail conditions of Sydney siege gunman Man Haron