2 arrested in counter-terror raids this morning

2 arrested in counter-terror raids this morning

A man and a young boy have been arrested today by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team in Sydney as part of the ongoing investigation into the alleged planning of a terrorist attack in Australia.

A 20-year-old Raby man and a 15-year-old male from Georges Hall were arrested at their homes this morning, and then later charged with one count each of conspiracy to conduct an act in preparation for a terrorist act.

Police have also confirmed they are in the process of charging three others with the same conspiracy.

The charges relate to material that was seized during search warrants conducted by Operation Appleby investigators in December 2014.

It will be alleged in court the men were involved in formulating documents connected with preparations to facilitate, assist or engage a person to undertake a terrorist act.

It is believed the target for the attack was a government building, possibly one occupied by the Australian Federal Police.

Police have also confirmed the two are associates of those involved in the killing of police employee Curtis Cheng, who was shot and killed outside a NSW police building in Parramatta earlier this year.

“The charges laid today are the direct result of ongoing investigations from material seized in previous Operation Appleby activity in Sydney during September and December 2014,” said AFP Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan.

Meanwhile NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Special Operations Catherine Burn reiterated that information from the community is vital to police efforts to disrupt the plans of those who pursue an extreme path.

“It is disturbing that we continue to deal with teenaged children in this environment,” Deputy Commissioner Burn told a press conference in Sydney.

To be putting a 15-year-old before the courts on very serious charges that carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment demonstrates the difficulties law enforcement face.”

The 20-year-old Raby man is scheduled to appear before Campbelltown Local Court this afternoon, while the 15-year-old juvenile is scheduled to appear before Parramatta Children’s Court today.

Police continue to encourage the public to report any suspicious activity they see or hear to the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

About author

Amy Whittaker
Amy Whittaker 1402 posts

Amy joined the NRN team in August 2011, before graduating from a B of Arts (Communication-Journalism)/B of Sports Studies from Charles Sturt University in December 2011.

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

National

Marriage Equality for Australia?

By Loren Howarth   Australian Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull has called for a special meeting on Monday, in a bid to settle the marriage equality debate. Despite Mr Turnbull supporting

National

Men dressed in niqab, KKK outfit and helmet protest at Parliament

Three men wearing various face coverings have staged a protest at Parliament House in Canberra this morning, to argue in favour of a nation-wide ban on the burka.

National

Vic government calls for Labor cooperation in Parliament

Victorian parliament is now in deadlock, following the suspension of MP Geoff Shaw.

National

WA authorities warn fire threat is not over

DFES authorities in WA are still advising people a danger remains and the bushfire in the south-west is not controlled.