Cadia workers return hours after earthquake

Cadia workers return hours after earthquake

By Jay-Anna Mobbs

 

Underground personnel at Cadia mine have resumed work hours after an earthquake to place on the weekend.

A 3.5 magnitude earthquake hit south-west of the mine at approximately 2:33am Sunday morning.

The tremor lasted seconds, reaching a total depth of 10 kilometres.

An estimate by Geoscience Australia suggests people 38 kilometres away could have felt the earthquake.

Underground operations were closed for more than 10 hours until being deemed clear to re-enter.

Cadia Valley Operations general manager Peter Sharpe, said no injuries were sustained, and there appears to be no damage to mine infrastructure.

“In accordance with procedures, all personnel were evacuated safely from the underground operations for precautionary purposes,” Mr Sharpe said.

This is the second earthquake to hit Cadia mine after a 4.3 magnitude quake hit on Good Friday, 4 kilometres west of the mine.

Previous Housing plans for people with complex disability needs, South Bathurst
Next Chifley Dam lowest November on record in eight years

About author

earche04
earche04 70 posts

Erin joined the NRN team straight after graduating from a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) at Charles Sturt University in 2016.

View all posts by this author →

You might also like

Stabbing Accused Refused Bail

A man accused of the fatal stabbing in Rocket Street, Bathurst last week has again been refused bail. Forty year old Iusi Afele, allegedly stabbed forty nine year old, Steven

Central West NSW drivers targeted this Anzac Day

Police will be out in full force across Central West NSW this Anzac Day.

Former Orange student loses Twitter defamation case

The first Twitter defamation precedent has been set in Australia, with an Orange local losing the case.